Auto repair and maintenance services can be costly and finding a reliable mechanic can be stressful. Here are five tips to consider when looking for a quality, auto repair service provider in your area:
1. Word-of-Mouth. Nothing is more reliable than recommendations from friends, coworkers and family. If you’re hearing multiple positive or negative reviews about a repair shop from people you trust, it’s very likely that their experience isn’t unique.
2. Social Media. Social media and review sites like Facebook and Yelp are also good places to search for other people’s experiences. Just be sure to consider the commenters’ credibility by looking at their comments on other businesses, how many friends they have, when they joined and other cues that might tell you how legitimate their comment is.
3. Certifications. Look for professional, industry certifications and memberships like those from the National Institute of Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) and the Automotive Service Association (ASA). It’s also worth checking the Austin area’s Better Business Bureau website for any complaints against a specific shop and whether the business resolved to problem.
4. Warranties. Always ask about warranties on repair work. While warranties will vary, a good repair shop will always give you an estimate and stand by its work with a written or posted warranty policy.
5. Get Answers. A reliable and knowledgeable auto repair shop will always take the time to explain all the work that needs to be done on your vehicle as well as provide you with a reasonable turnaround time and costs.