Besides the headlights and horn, your brakes are probably one of the most important safety features of your car that you can directly control. They’re also not something you tend to think about until you need them repaired, but how do you know when there’s a problem? Here are several diagnostic checks you can do yourself to decide if you need a professional auto repair technician to fix your brakes.
While driving your car, see if you can detect any of the following problems:
- The brake pedal has to be pressed down too far before your car actually begins to slow down.
- You have to press the brake pedal all the way to the floorboard before your car actually stops.
- Your brakes feel spongy or weak and take longer to stop than usual.
If you do notice any of the above problems, two of the most common explanations are that your brake fluid is low or contaminated, or your brake pads are worn.
Here are a few more DIY diagnostic checks you can do:
- Observe if the brakes feel sticky instead of smooth when you’re trying to stop.
- When stepping on the brake pedal, note if it feels too firm.
- Listen when you’re braking to see if the brakes make a squealing sound.
Possible causes of any of the above problems can be bad or worn brake pads, bad or worn brake discs, or problems with the brake line.
There are certainly more problems with the brake system you can experience as a car owner, and these are just some of the more common ones. If in doubt, check it out. The Auto Stoppe always offers free brake inspections to make it easy for our customers to identify issues with this auto safety system. One of our experienced auto repair technicians can identify your brake problem and consult with you on the best, recommended repair plan.
The Auto Stoppe is a local, family-owned and operated business serving the greater Austin area since 1980. We’re a full-service, auto repair shop providing exceptional service on both domestic and foreign vehicles.